Too many people drink rum plainly, merely by adding a bit of water or ice and garnishing with a slice of lime. Fruit pairs very well with rum in cocktails, and together they create tasty drinks.
Best Rum for Cocktails
What is the best rum for cocktails? There are many variations of rum, it can be challenging to choose.
Both light and dark rum are great choices for cocktails. Light rum is typically clear, and it has a sweeter flavor than dark rum, which is a darker color and smoky-sweet.
Fruit and Rum Combinations
Below are four yummy fruit and rum combinations, and a few of them use more than one type of rum.
Mojitos are classically minty with lime, but strawberry mojitos take the concept to the next level. Sweet, juicy strawberries add a natural sweetness to the drink. There are premade rum cocktails like the strawberry mojito available for purchase.
- Homemade mint simple syrup
- Fresh Strawberries
- Fresh Mint
- White rum
- Crushed Ice
- Club Soda
- Boil the sugar, water, and mint leaves, and then simmer for a few minutes until the sugar dissolves. Allow to cool.
- Layer the lime wedges, mint, simple syrup, and strawberries into a highball glass and muddle.
- Pour the rum over the muddled mix and add ice, topping with club soda.
- Garnish with a strawberry, a lime slice, and mint leaves.
This is a fun alcoholic drink that includes more than one type of run and different fruit juices. This recipe includes grenadine, which is a red syrup that is non-alcoholic and made from pomegranate juice. It has a sweet-tart flavor and can be used in many different cocktails.
- 1 ounce white rum
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 ounce orange juice
- ½ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce grenadine
- Garnish with an orange slice and cherry
- Stir all of the ingredients into a highball glass, except for the grenadine.
- Fill the glass with ice and top with grenadine. Garnish with the cocktail cherry and orange slice.
Refreshing and delicious, the Bahama mama is a one-of-a-kind cocktail with three different kinds of rum. The coffee liqueur and dark rum darken the color of the drink, but don’t let that turn you away!
- 1oz Coffee Liqueur
- 2oz Dark Rum
- 2oz Coconut Rum
- 1oz Clear Rum
- 12oz Pineapple Juice
- 4oz Orange Juice
- 2oz Grenadine
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- Cherry for garnish
- In a cocktail pitcher, combine all of the ingredients except for the cherry.
- In a tall glass, add ice and pour the Bahama Mama mixture.
- Garnish with the cherry.
Coffee, Rum, and Lemon
This pick-me-up is sure to put a little pep in your step. The zing of the citrus in the lemon works very well with the rich espresso and the sweetness of rum.
- 1 cup of espresso coffee
- 1 lemon
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 6 cubes of crushed ice
- 2 ½ cups of water
- Rum of your choosing (to taste)
- Cut the lemon into slices.
- In a pitcher, add the sugar, crushed ice, and lemon.
- Add in the water and coffee
- Add rum to taste and serve over ice.
Fruits pair very well with rum, and with their addition, you have the ability to change up your normal rum routine.